A new kind of enduro was the bike we imagined when we thought about the new FOCUS SAM². The whole bike: designed for down.
We imagined it sharper, more capable and downhill-orientated, so we needed to give it a more aggressive geometry.
design and technology
MARIO PÖSS, LEAD ENGINEER
“A SLACK HEAD ANGLE AND MODERATE REACH VALUES ARE OUR INTERPRETATION OF FUN DOWNHILL-ORIENTED ENDURO."
“The FOCUS SAM² is made for sending it in the roughest terrain. However, it was super important for us to keep the SAM²-DNA alive: to balance the riding abilities perfectly in between ups and downs. The seat angle is excellent for climbing, the wheel size best for roll-over and traction. Our FOCUS Flip Chip option allows adjustments for those who want to go radical. That is the formula for our new definition of e-Enduro.”
- 65° head angle, 64° with Flip Chip Drifter-option
- 450 mm chainstays, 430 mm with Flip Chip
- 29-inch wheels
- 27-inch- and Drifter-option with Flip Chip
- 76° seat tube angle
How to design a clean cockpit for an e-mountain bike?
We ended up with the Cockpit Integration Solution. We specially developed the C.I.S. design to provide a clean cockpit while ensuring constantly seamless shifting and braking. As a result, C.I.S. provides the first functioning stem with internal cable routing for mechanical shifting.
- Easy adjustable handlebar and brake lever position
- Rideable with no spacers for super low front end
- Mechanical shifting and dropper remote possible
DANIEL FRINTZ, DESIGN ENGINEER
“We tried all different options as a cable entrance. The best solution was to place the cables over the handlebar."
“Like that we can reach a big radius for the cables, to ensure that the mechanical shifting and the dropper post have low friction when you push the lever. We combined the construction with a modern and clean design.”
- 170 mm travel
- 2-phase kinematics
- 30% degression
- 70% progression (30% Sag)
- Fit for coil and air shocks
FABIAN SCHOLZ, LEAD ENGINEER
"With the SAM² we found a nice balance WHERE BOTH AIR AND COIL SHOCKS WORK AT THEIR BEST"
"Coil shocks need a more progressive leverage curve than air shocks, because an air shock builds more progression itself through the compression of the air. With the SAM² we found a nice balance where both air and coil shocks work at their best individual characteristics"
BOSCH PERFOMANCE LINE CX
|Motor: Mid-drive motor, 250 Watt, 85 NM|
|Assistance: up to 25 km/h|
|Assist: 4 levels Eco, Tour, eMTB, Turbo|
|Battery capacity: 625 Wh|
- Completely removable, integrated battery
- 625 Wh battery capacity
- Efficient and controlled even on challenging uphill sections
- Powerful motor with 85 Nm (max.)
- In eMTB mode, the support adjusts automatically to the individual's riding characteristics depending on the pedal pressure
“A slack head angle and moderate reach values are our interpretation of fun downhill-oriented Enduro. It is made for sending it in the roughest terrain.”